What is Significant?
The Glenthompson War memorial, erected after the First World War (1914-1919) and added to after the Second World War (1939 -1945) is constructed of finely cast concrete blocks. It has an unusual form of an octagonal base with two tiers, on which is mounted a column which terminates with a knight supporting a Celtic cross. The whole is constructed from blocks which appear to be specially fabricated. It has a height of about 4 metres. The base is inscribed on each of the eight sides with the names of those who fought in both World Wars. The lower tier is inscribed with the names of those who served 1914 - 1919, the upper tier is inscribed with the names of those who served 1939 - 1945.
The monument is at the centre of elaborately planned memorial reserve, in the centre of the township, bounded by the Glenelg Highway and a service road. The planning is strictly axial, with a short cross axis marked by paired Lawson's Cypress, Cupressus lawsoniana to the north and south entrances. A concrete scroll stands to the left of the northern entrance.
How is it significant?
The Glenthompson War Memorial is of historic, social and aesthetic significance to the township of Glenthompson and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The Glenthompson War Memorial is of historic significance because it commemorates at a local level some of the most important events in the national history of Australia and especially the roles of those from the community who served and died.
It is of social significance as the focus of acts of commemoration such as Anzac Day and Remembrance Day, and as a place of homage for the community.
It is of aesthetic significance for its use of traditional form, style and iconography to express deep meaning. This significance is enhanced by its setting and location.