Williamstown City Council Electricity Supply Department (former), Hobsons Bay Heritage Study 2006
Statement of Significance
What is Significant?
The former Williamstown City Council Electricity Supply Department complex, designed by Morsby & Coates and constructed in 1929 with later additions, at 6 Bath Place, Williamstown.
How is it Significant?
The former Williamstown City Council Electricity Supply Department complex at 6 Bath Place, Williamstown is of local historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Hobsons Bay.
Why is it Significant?
Historically, the complex as a whole is significant for its strong associations with the City of Williamstown Electricity Supply department as perhaps the only remaining buildings in the municipality associated with this business. Williamstown was one of a small number of inner suburban councils to provide electricity supply and this complex illustrates the financial success of the business that had significant long-term benefits for the city, which included paying in full for the construction of the new town hall extension in 1926-27. (AHC criteria A4, B2 and G1)
Aesthetically, although basic in form and layout, the 1929 building is significant as a near original example of an Interwar industrial building, which expresses its former role by the integral signage on its front elevation. It therefore contributes to the precinct of municipal buildings and is also related to the Interwar commercial development in Ferguson Street. Finally, it is of interest as an example of the work of architects, Morsby &Coates, who designed a number of buildings for the City of Williamstown, including the nearby town hall during the Interwar period. (AHC criteria E1 and F1)