Bickford, Smith & Co Explosives Factory (Former), Hobsons Bay Heritage Study 2006
Statement of Significance
What is Significant?
The former Bickford, Smith & Co explosives factory, designed by Gibbs, Finlay, Morsby & Coates and constructed in 1911, at 144-150 Hall Street, Spotswood.
How is it Significant?
The former Bickford, Smith & Co explosives factory at 144-150 Hall Street, Spotswood is of local historic and aesthetic significance to the City of Hobsons Bay.
Why is it Significant?
Historically, it is significant as a factory that demonstrates the early development of the Spotswood industrial area, which became a major centre of industry in a metropolitan context. It was associated with a nationally known chemical firm, Nobel (Australasia). (AHC criteria A4, D2 and H1)
Aesthetically, it is a surprisingly original and extensive facade (given the industrial use) designed in a striking manner within a castellated Medieval revival style not seen commonly in Victoria. (AHC criteria B2, E1 and F1)