ALEXANDRA COURT HOUSE AND FORMER SHIRE OFFICES SOHE 2008
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - January 25, 2000
The public offices at Alexandra are architecturally significant as an uncommon example of public works architecture, which incorporates a post office, shire offices and courthouse into a single, substantial compound. The complex, built in 1877, is unusual because the building has a symmetrical facade of hip-roofed wings united by wide, barrel vaulted central entry, typical elements of the Victorian free classical style, and forms a strong element in the streetscape.