What is significant?
The former Greyhound Hotel at 60-62 Swan Street, Cremorne is significant to the extent of the 1925-6 fabric. Originally built in the 1850s-60s, it was rebuilt in 1925-6 to a design by architect P.J. O'Connor for owner J.M. Cody. It is a two-storey Neo-Grec style building, with a simple and boldly executed cemented facade, splayed corner and a deep projecting cornice below a raised parapet entablature. The double hung timber windows to the first floor have leadlight to the upper sash and there are leadlight highlight windows in the ground floor facade.
Alterations and additions made after 1940 including the altered ground floor openings are not significant.
How is it significant?
The former Greyhound Hotel at 60-62 Swan Street, Cremorne is aesthetically, socially and historically significant to the locality of Richmond and the City of Yarra.
Why is it significant?
The former Greyhound Hotel is historically significant (Criterion A):
- as an illustration of the continuing development of Swan Street as a commercial centre and the growth of Richmond in the 1920s;
- as an illustration of the improvements made to hotels in the 1920s in accordance with new regulations imposed by the Licence Reduction Board;
- as a tangible expression of the historic location of hotels at prominent corners and, in this case, opposite a railway station.
The former Greyhound Hotel is socially significant (Criterion G) as a public house that has been located here since the 1850s or '60s and serving as a community hub since that time.
The former Greyhound Hotel is aesthetically significant (Criteria E & H) as an attractive, Greek Revival design by architect P.J. O'Connor. O'Connor was a prominent architect of the interwar era known particularly for his hotel and church designs.