This simple, symmetrical single storey brick cottage is located at 71 Pilleau Street, two blocks south from the main street of Coleraine. Its first owner was E White who may have commissioned the Hamilton architect, John S Jenkins to design the cottage in 1867. It shows certain refinements such as the quoins on the facade, which suggest that it was designed by an architect. Later owners include the poundkeeper, David Barry and, from 1889 for twenty-four years the engineer of the Shire of Dundas, Arthur Hill. The cottage is in fair condition and retains a fair degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The brick cottage at 71 Pilleau Street is of local architectural and historical significance to the community of Coleraine and the Shire of Southern Grampians.
Why is it significant?
The brick cottage at 71 Pilleau Street, Coleraine is of architectural significance for its simple but competent design, probably by the Hamilton architect, John S Jenkins. It is of architectural significance as the only remaining example of a small brick residence designed by an architect in the township of Coleraine. It is of historical significance as the home of David Barry, the first poundkeeper for the Wannon Shire and as the home of Arthur Hill, the long standing engineer for the Shire of Dundas. It is of further historical significance as an example of the use of locally manufactured bricks, representing an early industry and trade.