The former National Australia Bank is located on the north west corner of Whyte and Winter Streets in the centre of the township of Coleraine. The former bank is large two storey rendered brick building in the Renaissance Revival style, based on the palazzo form typical of banks. The building incorporates the banking offices and a manager's residence. The architect was Lloyd Tayler, a very important early Architect who won repute for his designs for the National Bank of Australasia. The National Bank of Australasia (later the National Australia Bank) was the first bank to open in Coleraine, operating out of Trangmar's Store from 1866 until the bank purchased land and constructed the building to be opened in 1870. The National Bank of Australasia and later the National Australia Bank remained the owners of the building until the branch closed in 2001.
How is it significant?
The former National Australia Bank is of architectural and historical significance to the township of Coleraine and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The former National Australia Bank is of architectural significance as an example of the work by leading Melbourne architect and specialist is bank design, Lloyd Tayler. It is of further architectural significance in comparison with the other surviving banks in the town. The former bank is of historical significance as the first bank to operate in Coleraine, and for its long standing association as a centre for banking in the district for over 130 years as the same corporate identity, notwithstanding name changes and bank amalgamations. The bank is of further historical significance as an important element of the townscape since the 1870s, and along with other buildings in the 'municipal' part of Coleraine it reinforces a visual centre of the township. The bank is also of historical significance as its building represents the formalisation of Coleraine as a service centre for the early local people.