The J. E. Goody Store and Residence is located on the north west corner of Whyte and Henty Streets, Coleraine. The building is a single storey, double fronted timber shop with an attached residence. The existing building dates from after 1900 and before 1915 although it retains the same plan as its predecessor. The facade is simple but well detailed example of the Renaissance Revival. If an architect was responsible, as seems likely, no name has been discovered. The present shop and dwelling is typical and one of the larger examples in Coleraine. It is in good condition and retains a good degree of integrity.
How is it significant?
The J E Goody Store and Residence is of historic and architectural significance to the township of Coleraine and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The J E Goody shop and residence is of historic significance for its associations with various merchants, specifically bakers who at least occupied the site, if not the building. It is of architectural significance for its modest but competent design which reflects a prosperous business environment.