What is significant?
Nigretta is located on the north west corner of Winter and McConochie Streets, approximately three blocks south of the centre of Coleraine. The house was originally a six room timber dwelling, built by and for a building contractor, timber merchant and undertaker originally from Horsham, Henry (Harry) Bradshaw, who also the ground level library and reading rooms of the new Mechanics Institute. The house is unusual as it is based on a Victorian Italianate style, yet has been designed as asymmetrical. The house has had several external additions since its construction in 1894, and substantial interior alterations in the latter twentieth century. The original verandah was removed in 1957, and an excellent copy has been made by the current owner, constructed from salvaged timbers, iron and aluminium lace. The house once had a tall paling fence which has been removed, and several garden beds have been planted out around the house. The house is associated with many local families, including the Gibson family (local merchants), Thomas Moore (saddler), E. R (Trangmar), and Thomas Constable, who have all occupied the house for periods of time. The most long standing residents have been the Vickery family, who continue to occupy the property.
How is it significant?
Nigretta is of historical significance to the township of Coleraine and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
Nigretta is of historical significance for its links to Henry W. Bradbury, an important local building contractor, who designed and built the house for himself. Bradbury was also the contractor responsible for constructing the ground level library and reading rooms in Coleraine. Of further significance is its association with many local families associated with commerce in Coleraine, including the families of Gibson, Trangmar, Moore and Constable, and for its long association with the Vickery family. Nigretta is of architectural significance as a an unusual representative of the Italianate Style as it is asymmetrical, of which there are few examples in the Southern Grampians Shire.
Thomas & Annie Moore (nee Hutchins) purchased Nigretta in 1923/4 after Thomas, Coleraine saddler from 1901-1955, won the Tattersalls Lottery. They raised their 6 children there & sold the house in 1955, after Annie's 1953 death & Tom's advanced age. Originally a hedged garden was on its north side. An underground cellar under the kitchen. Original utility buildings were a dairy, storage shed, toilet and well. The rear land was subdivided in 1947 allowing their son Tom to build a home.