What is significant?
The Prefabricated shed located at Indi, on the Coleraine - Balmoral Road, approximately eight kilometers south of the township of Balmoral is a large iron shed of six bays, currently used to house machinery and tools. The shed is said to have been imported from Scotland, via Freemantle, Western Australia, where the timbers of the structure were loaded . The corrugated iron is stamped "Davies Brothers Crown Brand". It was imported and erected in Glendinning Street by James Cuzens, a general merchant of Balmoral, in 1887 as an additional storage space for his thriving business. The shed was frequently used as an entertainment venue, and even at one time a temporary town hall for Balmoral. The shed was removed from its original location in 1976 by Anthony Watt of Indi Homestead. It was transported, with special permission from the Victoria Police, on a semi-trailer. It continues to be used as a shed on Mr. Watt's property. The shed is in fair condition, and retains a good degree of integrity, although the walls were reduced in height by 1 metre when the shed was transported, reducing its intactness.
How is it significant?
The prefabricated shed at Indi Homestead is of historical and architectural significance to the community of Balmoral and to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The prefabricated shed is of historical significance for its association with James Cuzens, one of the most important local merchant's in the township of Balmoral in the nineteenth century. Of further historical significance is the wide variety of roles which the pre-fabricated shed has undertaken, including being used as a store, dance hall, entertainment venue, temporary town hall and finally as a machinery shed. The shed is of architectural importance as a rare surviving example of a pre-fabricated tin shed, and as an unusually late example of the erection of a pre-fabricated shed.