What is significant?
The former State School No 1724 at Bochara was located at a prominent site on the highway beside the bridge over McKinnons Creek, and was one of the few buildings which marked the presence of a community at Bochara. Two school buildings occupied the site since its inception in the 1870s. The first school, built in 1876, was associated with the development of the pastoral industry in the district. The later school opened in 1932 as a result of the increase in local population triggered by the subdivision of Bochara Station for Closer Settlement. Although no school buildings survive, the existence of the school, with its history, has been commemorated by the erection in 1996 of a concrete and bronze monument. A number of trees, including a row of Golden Cypress, mark the boundaries of the site.
How is it significant?
The State School No 1724 site and concrete and bronze memorial are of historical significance to the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The State School No 1724 site and its memorial are of historical significance as physical reminders of the history of school education in the Bochara district. The construction of the two schools were associated with particular periods of closer settlement at Bochara. The erection of the memorial in 1996 is an important signifier of the community's desire to record its history for future generations.