Skelsmergh Hall was built in 1859 for prominent pastoralist William Degraves as a summer residence. The building is a two-storey, ten-roomed bluestone dwelling and was constructed of Malmsbury stone; the main Italianate western elevation contains three hipped roof bays, whilst the north-east side is a simple hipped, two-storey wing. Degraves was also eminent in flour milling industries and Skelsmergh Hall was completed about the same time as the flour mill (VHR No 310) which is also located on the site.
Skelsmergh Hall is significant for historical and architectural reasons.
Skelsmergh Hall is historically significant as a rare example of a residence associated with a mill. The residence, together with the mill, demonstrates a particular way of life and lends interpretation to a process which has disappeared from Victoria's manufacturing industry.