The Methodist Church, Nicholson Street, was erected in 1874 by Murray and Hill to a design by the architects Terry and Oakden. The exposed brick structure comprises an aisled nave. The buttresses and openings are decorated with contrasting brickwork, pressed cement keystones, mouldings and cappings, and corbelled gables. A shallow bell-cote and entrance are superimposed over the street facade. The main doorway is flanked by colonettes with capitals.
The Methodist Church is of architectural and historical significance to the State of Victoria.
The Methodist Church is of architectural significance as a fine example of Church architecture from the 1870s and an important work of the architects Terry and Oakden. It was designed by the firm in the first year of their partnership and is one of the first buildings to exhibit such typical characteristics of Oakden?s work as corbelled gables, bellcote and striped serrated brickwork. Terry and Oakden were responsible for some elements of the Working Mens College (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) buildings, and Oakden, in a later partnership with Addison and Kemp, was responsible for the ANZ Bank building in North Fitzroy.
The Methodist Church is of historical significance as a visible reminder of the growth of church congregations, reflecting the growth of 19th century Melbourne. The Church replaced a smaller wooden church that was opened on the site only three years earlier, demonstrating the speed with which congregations grew as Melbourne?s suburbs were developed.