The English Scottish and Australian Chartered Bank opened a branch in
Flemington about 1875 The current bank was designed by the notable
architectural partnership Terry and Oakden and built in 1884. The building
continued to operate as bank until June 1972. It is now used as the office for
a private company. The former bank a two storey Italian gothic style
polychromatic brick building with a prominent, quadruple parapeted, gabled
roof of slate. It is substantially intact and in excellent condition.
The former E S & A bank is of architectural importance to the State of
The former ES&A Bank is important for its design excellence, being one of only
ten Gothic style banks in Victoria, and the finest of six Gothic banks
designed by the architectural firm Terry and Oakden. Of particular note is the
way in which the building makes excellent use of the corner site. Also of note
is incised decoration of the rose/thistle/gumnut in the stone spandrels at the
three windows around the corner.