Emu Bottom Homestead is located on a property settled by Port Phillip pioneer George Evans in 1836. The first homestead built in 1836 may have been incorporated in the present one, the exact dates of which are unknown. The L-shaped building is constructed of local stone and has hipped roofs cald in shingles. A timber verandah faces one side of the building with doors opening onto it. Windows are twelve-pane sashes.
Emu Bottom Homestead is a structure of singular historical importance in the State of Victoria. It is one of, if not the oldest, surviving homestead in Victoria and is a very rare surviving example of a pioneer's homestead. The run was established at the very beginnings of settlement in Victoria by George Evans who was in the party which first settled at Batmans Hill later to become Melbourne. Evans was a prominent figure in early Melbourne and was the first to settle at Sunbury.
Emu Bottom Homestead was restored as a museum House circa 1970.