The Former Lauder's Riding School (EmeraldHall), South Melbourne was erected c.1873 as a riding establishment for George E Lauder, late of the 8th Hussars. The part stucco rendered brick complex, containing commodious stables, gymnasium, bathrooms and private quarters wasdesigned by George Brownein the popular 1870's style of the conservative classic revival. Circa 1905, the rear brick stable complex was converted to a church hall.
Lauder's Riding School enjoyed considerable distinguished patronage over the years 1873-1905 under direction of G E Lauder and later, his daughter Mrs James Watt. The specially designed building, although altered internally, is of social and historical importance and possibly the only surviving building complex of this type in Victoria. The facade to Bank Street is notable for the use of superimposed pilasters, segmental arch windows, pronounced cornices and parapet, in an innovative symmetrical design.
The former Lauder's Riding School building whilst recognisable intact externally, has been substantially rearranged internally and the original function no longer identifiable.
AHC statement modified 03/08/2010