Archie's Creek Produce Company, established in 1896-7, was one of the first privately owned butter factories. It became a co-operative butter company in 1903. The factory finally closed on 6 October 1983 after 97 years of continuous operation. Technologically advanced for the period, it pioneered bulk milk transport, aluminum wrapped butter for tropical countries, instant soluble milk powder and efficient use of waste products. The produce was sold to over 22 countries. The building has under-gone extensive renovation since the 1950s and no machinery remains on site. However the size and extent of the extensions are representative of the importance that the dairy industry once had.The complex dominates the small town and provides a visual focal point and a reminder that the company once dominated the entire area.