The modest house at 257 Yarra Street, South Geelong, has significance as a rare physical legacy of mid 19th century residential developments in the area. Built in late 1854, the house is characterised by a rudimentary Victorian style. The building (particularly the end masonry walls) is in poor condition.
The house at 257 Yarra Street is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level. It demonstrates original design qualities of a rudimentary Victorian style. These qualities include the simple gable roof form that traverses the site, together with the skillion wing at the rear. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the single storey height, rendered masonry walls, random rubble base walls, timber framed 12 paned double hung windows, timber framed doorways and transoms, narrow eaves, substantial masonry chimney and the vertical boarded door.
The house at 257 Yarra Street is historically significant at a LOCAL level. It is associated with some of the earliest residential developments in South Geelong in the mid 19th century and represents a rare legacy of this fledgling period in Geelong's history. Built in 1854, this house has associations with Henry Plumridge, original owner, and from 1859, Mrs W. Flanders and Minnie Flanders who owned the property until c.1900.
Overall, the house at 257 Yarra Street is of LOCAL significance.
Drainage Plans and Reports, 1922, 1936, 1941, 1949, 1969, 1990, Barwon Water profis system, City of Greater Geelong.
Sands & McDougall Directory,1972.
Sands & McDougall "Invicta" Directory,1968.
Electoral Roll, Division Corio, Subdivision Geelong, 1984, Geelong Historical Records Centre.
Geelong City Council Rate Books, Barwon Ward, 1854-1960, Geelong Historical Records Centre.
Geelong Town Plan, 1858, Geelong Historical Records Centre.