The Malvern Tram Depot buildings, land and objects integral to the place including:
-The car sheds on both sides of Coldblo Road, the substation, the small office building in the southeast corner of the site, the brick garages in the north-east corner, the former school on Stanhope Street, the part of Coldblo Road between the two car sheds and the tram tracks leading into the car sheds from Glenferrie Road.
-Fixed and non-fixed objects as listed in the inventory dated January 2020, held by the Executive Director.
-All fixtures attached to the buildings at the time of registration.
HOW IS IT SIGNIFICANT?
The Malvern Tram Depot is of historical significance to the State of Victoria. It satisfies the following criterion
for inclusion in the Victorian Heritage Register:
Importance to the course, or pattern, of Victoria?s cultural history.
Possession of uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of Victoria?s cultural history.
Importance in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a class of cultural places and objects.
WHY IS IT SIGNIFICANT?
The Malvern Tram Depot is significant at the State level for the following reasons:
The Malvern Tram Depot is of historical significance for its association with the origins and expansion of Melbourne's tram network in the first half of the twentieth century. The original depot, commenced by the Prahran & Malvern Tramways Trust (P&MTT) in 1909, is significant as the first, and later became the largest, of the depots constructed by the municipal tramways trusts prior to the formation of the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board (M&MTB) in 1919. The P&MTT was the most significant and successful of all the municipal tramway networks, and its services played a key role in facilitating suburban expansion south of the Yarra River. The growth of the tramway system was one of the greatest municipal developments in Victoria during the first decade of the twentieth century, and the depot is associated with this period of Melbourne's transport history. The depot reflects the expansion and change of the tramway system in subsequent decades, with several major alterations and additions in the late 1920s. The second car shed and separate substation, erected in 1929 to designs by AG Monsbourgh, are an expression of the period of consolidation, expansion and modernisation of the tramway system by the M&MTB. The intactness of the structures from all periods of development makes the depot an important record of the evolution of Melbourne's tramway system. The school building and its rear addition is significant as a reflection of the recreational and support services provided by the M&MTB for its employees in the inter-war period. (Criterion A)
The Malvern Tram Depot is historically significant for its association with the first successful and later the largest electrical tram system in Victoria which was constructed by the P&MTT from 1909 to 1920. The tram systems in the area were constructed for electric operation and cable trams did not operate. The depot is also associated with the widespread construction of new electric tramways beyond the reach of the cable tramway system. The P&MTT operated trams in the Cities of Prahran, Malvern, St Kilda, Caulfield, Hawthorn, Kew and Camberwell. The electrification of the tram lines contributed to the development of the southeastern suburbs of Melbourne in the early twentieth century and the provision of the extensive, cheap and efficient electric tram system led to the growth of the commuter suburbs in this area, allowing the middle classes to live in a salubrious environment and commute to the city, resulting in the present characteristic appearance of these suburbs. (Criterion A)
The Malvern Tram Depot is significant for its substation which is one of only two substations in Victoria known to retain rotary converter equipment, and the only one which is complete. Almost all the equipment is present, in its original positions and mostly still connected. The rotary converters, their matching transformers and some other equipment were made overseas while the Control Panel which included automatic control equipment as well as the large DC Switchboard were assembled by the M&MTB. (Criterion B)
The Malvern Tram Depot is architecturally notable as a fine and intact example of an early twentieth century complex of tramways buildings. The earliest buildings are imposing examples of the application of Edwardian period architecture to utilitarian structures. The later buildings are fine and intact examples of the classical style buildings designed by M&MTB architect Alan Monsborough. The design of the depot buildings provides evidence of the pride with which Melbourne viewed its tramway system and of the importance of the system to the life of the city. (Criterion D)
The Malvern Tram Depot is significant because its substation is one of the few places which demonstrates the principal characteristics and functioning of a rotary converter tramway substation. The substation at the Malvern Tram Depot is a notable example of a tram substation as it contains all the original conversion equipment which demonstrates how electro-mechanical rotary converters together with their matching specialised transformers, switchgear, switchboards, circuit breakers, control gear and interconnecting cables converted AC power to DC power for the DC motors on trams. The location of the substation next to two engine sheds and its outgoing feeder cables to various locations on the tram routes, demonstrates how the DC motors in trams needed to be supplied by a 600 Volt DC source approximately every four kilometres in order to provide a stable power supply without excessive voltage drop limiting the tram's speed. (Criterion D)
Johnstone Creek & Swan Lake
Menzies Park Brickworks
Bluestone Chapel - Mayfield Centre
Former Ince House
MALVERN TRAM DEPOT
St Joseph's Catholic Church And Presbytery