The Court House has very important associations with Geelong West's civic development and it is one of the few buildings in Pakington Street Commercial Area which has such fine architectural style. Built in 1889 to the drawings of Public Works Architect, G.B.H Austin it has been designed to compliment the 1886 Post Office opposite. It is of local significance.
Removal of the unsympathetic additions and restoration to the design shown in the original drawings is highly recommended.
PWD Plan room, Drawing No 1. New Court House, Geelong West, GBHA, 1.12.87.
Bruce Trethowan, 'The Public Works Department of Victoria. 1851-1900. An Architectural History, Research Report, School of Architecture, University of Melbourne 1975. Vol 2. p113.
WR Brownhill, A History of Geelong and Corio Bay, Melbourne 1955, p 109.