A Ferry/Punt formerly operated by Messr Lonsdale in the late 1830's/ 40's across the river to the north of the base of the Bunbury St Bridge. An 1844 plan shows a punt operated by Benjamin Levine in 1844 (Lack, 1991: 30). Clarke's redrawn 1849 plan (Somerville Collection) and Ham's 1852 Map (in Ford and Lewis, 1989:1) shows a punt crossing the Maribyrnong to the adjacent north of Bunbury St. Captain Lonsdale first placed a private punt at this site in 1839, and Benjamin Levine established the first private punt at this site in 1840. Another punt across the river was established at this site in 1855, under a licence granted to John O' Farrell from 1855 -1865 (Footscray Council, 1960: np). In 1909, Joseph Pickett was reported to have established a punt on the river opposite the Shipp Inn, where he also hired out boats to fishermen and holiday makers (Footscray Council, 1960: np). The punt may have also used the Victoria Ferry Landing Steps.
No evidence of a landing was evident on the eastern side of the river, which has been covered with beaching laid during the depression era (1930's), although archaeological deposits may be present on the riverbed.