1-7 and 2-8 Carole Joy Ave, 1-23 and 2-22 Clinnick St, 1-21 and 2-20 Croft Cres, 1-47 Henty St, 1-25 and 2-28 Moore Cres, 1-15 and 2-10 Nola Anne Ave, 1-11 and 2-12 Rose Ct, 181-217 Spring St, 1-41 and 2-14 Taylor Ave and 1-15 and 2-6 Wright St, RESERVOIR
HCV West Preston- Reservoir Estate, view of Rose Court showing two storey duplex
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - December 4, 2008
What is significant?
The first housing estates in Preston were constructed in 1939-40 before building activity ceased during World War II. After WWII a site to the west of Spring Street in Reservoir was acquired by the Housing Commission of Victoria in the mid 1940s. This site was much larger than those estates previously purchased by the Commission in Preston, and was an unsubdivided area. This gave the HCV architects the opportunity to create a true 'garden city' estate. The subsequent layout of the West Preston-Reservoir Estate, with its curving crescents and cul-de-sacs, contrasts markedly with the surrounding patterns of straight parallel streets. By 1946, 348 houses had been completed on the estate, and building was continuing. The blocks of flats in Carole-Joy Avenue don't appear to have been built until the early 1950s. In the late 1940s a Housing Commission Office was built on the corner of Carol Joy-Avenue and Coleman Crescent.
The houses are modest in character and scale, all of brick construction with a reinforced concrete band at or around floor level. They have terracotta tile hip or gable roofs with brick chimneys, which often placed at the front of the building. Windows are paired timber-framed double hung sashes with horizontal glazing bars in both sashes. All are single storey except for two, two-storey duplexes at 11-12 Rose Court and 25-27 Taylor Avenue and the two-storey walk up flats in Carole-Joy Avenue. The houses in Clinnick Avenue are of slightly different design and lack some of the detailing of the other houses in the Estate such as the horizontal glazing bars to the windows.
- The houses to the extent of the 1946-7 fabric,
- The c.1950s HCV walk-up flats in Carole-Joy Avenue
- The former HCV rent office is a small brick building with a skillion roof at the rear of the house at 5 Coleman Crescent.
- The very high degree of intactness with most of the HCV houses and flats still extant.
Non original alterations and additions to the contributory houses,the housesat Carole Joy Avenue, 2A, 12 & 14 Coleman Crescent, 1A, 1B & 23 Croft Crescent, 11 Henty Street, 1A & 24 Moore Crescent, 15 Nola Anne Avenue, 2/1 Rose Court, 1A & 14 Taylor Avenue, 2 Wright Street and the Senior Citizens centre are not significant.
How is it significant?
The HCV West Preston-Reservoir Estate is of local historic, architectural and aesthetic significance to Darebin City.
Why is it significant?
Historically, the HCV West Preston-Reservoir Estate is significant as one of the first estates to be constructed by the HCV after World War II. It provides evidence of the houses built by the HCV before housing demand and materials shortages led to the mass-produced pre-fabricated housing estates of the late 1940s and early 1950s. It is also significant as the first estate in Preston where the HCV was able to fully realise the 'garden city' principles in the estate layout. (AHC criteria A.4, D.2, H.1)
The HCV West Preston-Reservoir Estate is of architectural significance as a representative example of an early post-WWII estate, which illustrates the evolution in housing design since the first estates. (AHC criterion D.2)