Between the years 1853-1856, Geelong solicitor john Alexander Gregory built the 18 room stone mansion `Barwon Bank' in extensive gardens on the high northern bank overlooking the Barwon River at Marnockvale, Geelong. TR Yabsley was the architect for this colonial regency style single storey attic house, built of basalt with contrasting Barrabool freestone dressings and dominated by a massive Doric portico and battlemented bay windows.
'Barwon bank' is an important early Victorian mansion house and one of few documented works in Victoria of the virtually unknown, but accomplished architect Thomas R Yabsley. Upon completion in 1856, this comparatively rare example of the colonial regency style mansion in Victoria was considered to be "the finest specimen of architecture in the western district". John Gregory, a noted Geelong solicitor occupied the mansion only until 1856, later occupants were associated with Barwon River industries.