Toolern Park homestead, 1658-1672 Diggers Rest-Coimadai Road, Toolern Vale, is significant as a surviving nineteenth and early twentieth century farm complex still partly owned by descendents of the original owners, the Campbell family. Established before 1866, the remnants of the original house are identified by the brick rubble and nearby mature conifer and other plantings (that indicate the original driveway). The existing timber house has significance as an intact example of an Edwardian style. Two dry stone walls contribute to the significance of the place. There is also a large dam with bluestone retaining walls on the property; a smaller dam is now on a new allotment in the same ownership.
The house at Toolern Park, 1658-1672 Diggers Rest-Coimadai Road, Toolern Vale, is architecturally significant at a LOCAL level (AHC D.2). It demonstrates original design qualities of an Edwardian style. These qualities include the recessive hipped roof form, together with the gable and skillion verandah that project towards the front. Other intact or appropriate qualities include the asymmetrical composition, single storey height, horizontal timber weatherboard wall construction, galvanised corrugated steel roof cladding, two face brick chimneys with multi-corbelled cappings, narrow eaves, timber verandah posts with simple timber brackets, timber framed double hung windows (including the tripartite windows under the front verandah and projecting gable) and the timber bargeboards and decorative timber gable infill. The nearby mature conifers (as indicated in the Description below) also contribute to the significance of the place.
The property's substantial dry stone walls and brick remnants of the ruins of the original house are scientifically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC C.2, F.1). The brick remnants have the potential to yield interpretive information about the historical development of the property, while the dry stone walls probably date to the early-mid 1850s, and represent a type of mid-nineteenth century construction that is now redundant. The larger wall incorporates the remnant of a post and top rail fence, a vestige of their use by the Oaklands Hunt Club during the twentieth century.
Toolern Park homestead, 1658-1672 Diggers Rest-Coimadai Road, Toolern Vale, is historically significant at a LOCAL level (AHC A.4, H.1) as one of the notable early farms in Melton, and for its association with James Campbell, one of Toolern Vale's earliest settlers, and his descendents, including Dr Archie Campbell.
Overall, Toolern Vale homestead, 1658-1672 Diggers Rest-Coimadai Road, Toolern Vale, is of LOCAL significance.