Moore, Christie and Spinks Flour Mill (Former)
147 High Street, HEATHCOTE VIC 3523 - Property No 204231
Statement of Significance
The former Christies flour mill built in 1869 including the entire three storey brick structure with side and rear skillions, chimney and painted signs on the front facade is significant. The interior structure composed of timber posts and beams with spreaders on top of the posts is also significant.
The glass door is potentially also of significance due to links with the National Gallery Victoria roof.How is it significant?
147 High Street, Heathcote is of local historic, technical and aesthetic and social significance to the City of Greater Bendigo and may be of State significance.Why is it significant?
The partnership of Christie and Spinks were highly influential in the commercial activities of Heathcote during the 1860s and 1870s. Their influence extended from the Heathcote Main Store begun in 1853 at the height of the goldrush, to the establishment of a flour milling company in 1861. Christie and Spinks went on to become highly successful business people in Heathcote. Criterion A
147 High Street is of technical significance as a form of building reflecting the requirements of the activities carried out including the storage of grain in garner bins on the top floor, the grinding machinery on the middle floor and the bagged flour on the ground floor. Criterion F
147 High Street is the most distinctive and largest building in High Street and as such, informs the distinctive character of the town. Although it has not been established that the building was designed and builtby James Crowle, his involvement with the company indicates that there is a possibility that he may have been responsible for the design as he was responsible for many of the larger public buildings from the 1850s and 1860s. The flour mill is a highly distinctive building without comparison in the study area. The chimney is a highly visible structure in the townscape. Criterion B
In recent years the building has been occupied by the celebrated artist Leonard French who has added the glass doors. Criterion H
Moore, Christie and Spinks Flour Mill (Former) - Physical Description 1
The former Christie's flour mill at 147 High Street is a three storey mill building of face brick. The siting of the mill on High Street is notable. Many other examples of this type of building are in rural locations. It is designed with three storeys in the traditional manner. The mill is designed in a traditional manner over three floors, each of which are designed for specific functions related to flour milling. The top floor was used for bins for grain called 'garner bins', the middle floor contained the machinery needed for grinding, in particular the mill stones; whilst the ground floor was for the bagging of flour. The chimney is located behind the building as part of the boiler house and there is a single storey skillion roofed part which once would have housed the drive shaft from the boiler, and other machinery. A skillion roofed part at the side of the mill was used once an open verandah.
The mill has been converted to a residence; however the changes that have been made are mainly confined to the interior. A front door to the street has been converted to a fixed window of coloured glass, (glass which is the same as the NGV ceiling designed by Leonard French and believed to be left over from this period). The remains of some early signs are on the front facade, which is otherwise unadorned brickwork with 12 pane sash windows. The ground floor windows appear in a historical photograph as four pane windows so it might be assumed that these sashes have been replaced. A historical photograph shows that all windows were glazed along the side elevation, however one of these openings is now a blind window. The chimney is a notable feature of the building and is of a simple tapered design with wide cornice moulding to the top.
The bricks are the orange red type found on many of the nineteenth century buildings in the study area. Lacey's brickworks operated from the clay deposits in Axedale and supplied bricks for many of the buildings in Heathcote. The plinth and the window sills are of rough cut sandstone.
The interior contains elements of the original post and beam structure and the trusses for the main roof the skillions. A brick wall wing wall at one side contains a blind window and concealed an open verandah. This verandah has been enclosed with floor to ceiling glazing and has become part of the house.
The exterior is intact apart from the alteration of a door to a window. There does not appear to be any of the milling machinery still extant.
An industrial building at the rear contains the studio of the current occupant and artist , however this is a lightweight structure of metal framing and metal cladding. Its construction date is much later than that of the mill itself.
 Information from the current owner, 2008
Moore, Christie and Spinks Flour Mill (Former) - Physical Conditions
Moore, Christie and Spinks Flour Mill (Former) - Integrity
Moore, Christie and Spinks Flour Mill (Former) - Historical Australian Themes
5 Building Victoria's industries and workforce
5.1 Processing raw materials
Heritage Study and Grading
Greater Bendigo - Former Shires of McIvor and Strathfieldsaye Heritage Study
Author: Context P/L
INNISFAILVictorian Heritage Register H0388
HEATHCOTE POWDER MAGAZINEVictorian Heritage Register H1402
FORMER HEATHCOTE COURT HOUSE AND SHIRE COUNCIL CHAMBERSVictorian Heritage Register H1368