St John's Anglican Church and Budd Hall
165 High Street, HEATHCOTE VIC 3523 - Property No 209383
Statement of Significance
St John's Anglican Church of 1868, the former Christ Church of 1854, now known as Budd Hall, and the two palm trees at the front of the church are significant. The later additions to Budd Hall constructed in brick in 1972, and the vicarage are not significant.How is it significant?
St John's Anglican Church complex is of local historical, aesthetic and social significance to the City of Greater Bendigo.Why is it significant?
St John's Anglican church demonstrates a long and continuous occupation of the site originally reserved for the Anglican Church, the only one of the denominations in Heathcote to do so.
The earlier building of 1854, formerly known as Christ Church is historically significant as one of few remaining churches from the era of initial gold discovery and mining in the Heathcote district. Its later name change to Budd Hall in 1894 demonstrates an association with the long serving incumbent Rev. Theodore Budd.
St John's Anglican Church of 1868 has historical associations with prominent Melbourne Anglicans Bishop Dr. Perry at the dedication and opening of the church in 1869, and Archbishop Frank Woods at the celebration of the church's centenary in 1969. Criterion H
St John's is one of a large body of churches and other major buildings designed by the prominent German Bendigo architects Vahland and Getzchmann. It is one of three known churches designed by the practice with a central tower or bellcote, a feature derived from the architectural tradition of many German churches. St Johns demonstrates aesthetic significance in the composition of the front elevation evidenced by the brick articulation, porch detailing, recessed window, and highly unusual bellcote that appears to hover over the church. The palm trees contribute to the setting of the church and hall. The interior is significant for its memorial stained glass windows, furniture and fixtures in timber, and the unglazed terra cotta floor tiles. Criterion E
Although altered by the addition of a brick front, Budd Hall demonstrates a vernacular approach to church buildings that was soon replaced by the Gothic Revival style that was adopted as almost universally appropriate to church buildings. Aspects of the vernacular style remain in the leaded glass windows and the remaining stone walls as well as the one room form of the building. Criterion D
St John's Anglican Church and Budd Hall are of social significance for the Heathcote community as a place of continuous worship for over 150 years. Criterion G
St John's Anglican Church and Budd Hall - Physical Description 1
165 High Street contains three buildings including St John's Anglican church of 1868, Budd Hall of 1854, formerly known as Christ Church, and a vicarage built c.1940.
St Johns Anglican Church was built in 1868 to a design by Vahland and Getzchmann.
St John's is built in the Gothic style in face brick and stucco. The most notable feature of Vahland's design in the square bellcote that corbels out over the apex of the gable. This feature is similar to that of St Liborius (also known as St Peter's) in Eaglehawk, also by Vahland. Geoff Lawler in his discussion of the Vahland School mentions that large pointed towers are a feature of many German churches and are a distinguishing feature between Vahland and his contemporaries.
The entry to St John's is on the main axis of the church and the door is recessed into a stuccoed porch with gable and pinnacles. The main window is decorated with perpendicular Gothic tracery and deeply recessed into the wall expressing deep reveals. Historical photographs show that the stucco is a later addition and that the original design was entirely in face brickwork. This included the porch around the door and the reveals to the front window which are of stone. The sanctuary is designed as a small gable roofed section and has a tripartite window.
Apart from the finely detailed bellcote St John's is a fairly conventional design in the gothic manner, although it does exhibit some fine brick detailing. The interior planning of the church contains an apse.
The site contains some mature palm trees planted on the axis to the front door.
The 1854 Anglican church on the site is a small 'shoebox' chapel of local stone laid in coursed random rubble. The windows are mainly square headed 12 pane sashes, however one leaded glass window with gothic glazing bars is notable. An extension to the church has been made in vigorously striped brickwork in two shades of brown. The extensions to this building have almost disguised its original appearance.
A vicarage in a late bungalow style is also part of the site, and is built of rendered brickwork with a concrete tile roof. It is interesting mainly as an example of a transitional building between the bungalow style and the double-fronted houses of the 1950s.
St John's contains a number of intricately designed and made memorial windows in stained glass. The ceiling is of polished timber lining boards throughout. The church contains a number of purpose built ecclesiastical furniture and fittings including matching pews in hardwood. Of particular note is the original floor tiles in red and cream laid in a diagonal pattern with rectangular border tiles.
 Lewis, Miles (ed) (1991), Victorian Churches, National Trust of Australia, Melbourne, p. 135.
 Lawler, Geoffrey (197?), p. 10.
St John's Anglican Church and Budd Hall - Physical Conditions
St John's Anglican Church and Budd Hall - Integrity
St John's Anglican Church and Budd Hall - Historical Australian Themes
8 Building community life
8.1 Maintaining a spiritual life
Heritage Study and Grading
Greater Bendigo - Former Shires of McIvor and Strathfieldsaye Heritage Study
Author: Context P/L
INNISFAILVictorian Heritage Register H0388
FORMER HEATHCOTE COURT HOUSE AND SHIRE COUNCIL CHAMBERSVictorian Heritage Register H1368
FORMER SURVEY OFFICEVictorian Heritage Register H2247