The Roman Catholic church of St Laurence constructed in 1873-74, including the additions made in 1891 are significant. The setting of the church including the drystone wall, stone drainage channels, and the mature trees including pines and peppercorns are also significant.
How is it significant?
The Roman Catholic Church of St Laurence is of local historic, aesthetic and social significance to the City of Greater Bendigo.
Why is it significant?
The Roman Catholic Church of St Laurence is of historical significance for its association at its inception in 1872 with the Bishop of Melbourne, the Right Rev. Alipius Goold, and later at its enlargement, by the Rev. Dr Reville in 1892. St Laurence is tangible evidence of the importance of the Catholic community in the Redesdale area, demonstrating their rapid growth from 1865 when a church was first constructed, to 1873 when the first church was no longer suitable for the burgeoning population of the district. Criterion A
The church is of aesthetic significance for its sophisticated design based on the French Gothic models incorporating steeply pitched roofs and vertical proportions. In comparison with other churches in the study area the Roman Catholic Church of St Laurence displays a high degree of craftsmanship in stone masonry by employing bluestone for some simple mouldings and including window tracery of sandstone. Criterion E
The church is of social significance to the Redesdale Community as a place of continuous worship for over 130 years. Criterion G.
Roman Catholic Church of St Laurence - Physical Description 1
The Roman Catholic Church of St Laurence is a fine example of the Gothic Revival style constructed in 1873-74, with the sacristy added in 1891. The version of the Gothic Revival that is evident includes the French Gothic tradition of a relatively small footprint in comparison with its considerable height. St Laurence is a sophisticated design employing a steeply pitched roof greater than 45 degrees, corner buttresses known as 'angle buttresses', and the use of stone mouldings and tracery. Bluestone in particular is difficult to cut into fine mouldings and the window hood mouldings and reveals are cut from bluestone. This church displays a high degree of craftsmanship in the tracery of the windows that are cut from sandstone in a geometric pattern with stone mullions.
The Roman Catholic church of St Laurence has two porches and a sacristy constructed in 1891 to the original design. The bluestone masonry is of a high quality and the additions to the church are indistinguishable from the original construction. An earlier slate roof has been replaced with corrugated iron.
The Roman Catholic Church of St Laurence is a studied essay in the Gothic style applied to a small parish church. The church is encircled by a drystone wall that predates the church, and the site has some mature trees as part of its setting. There is also evidence of stone drainage channels on the site. These serve to frame the entrance to the church from the road.
The interior contains a memorial window to Peter and John McNiffs. The ceiling is of timber lining boards over a scissor truss roof. There are timber pews and a confessional.