The Bendigo Town Hall is the finest boom style building of its type in Victoria and is W. Vahland's most remarkable work. The facades are superbly decorated in a variety of asymmetrical and bizarre mannerist compositions. The deep broken pediments, fine towers and side portico are distinctive features. The hall is finely decorated, the plasterwork is notable. The building is surrounded by attractive landscaped grounds and terminates Bull Street. It is an outstanding feature of this historic city.
Significant Associations - Fletcher, G.A., Designer; Vahland, W.
First town hall was completed on this site in 1859 and was designed by G.A. Fletcher, Town Surveyor. It was simple 2 storey brick Italianate structure. Extensive alterations and additions were undertaken in 1883-5 (Architect: W. Vahland). Offices were added to the rear; hall was enlarged and redecorated (Decorator O. Waschatz). Finally, all facades were refaced in elaborate classical manner and tower and mansard roof were added