The former Clyde Railway Station precinct, comprising the timber trestle road over rail bridge constructed c.1888, remnant station platforms and building footings, and trees associated with the former Clyde Railway Station constructed as part of the South Eastern Railway, at Station Road and Ballarto Road, Clyde.
How is it significant?
The former Clyde Railway Station precinct is of local historic, aesthetic and scientific (archaeological) significance to the City of Casey.
Why is it significant?
Historically, it is significant for its associations with the construction of the South Eastern Railway, also known as the Great Southern Railway by the Victorian Railways from 1888-92. The opening of the station led to the creation of the new Clyde township and the decline of the original Clyde settlement, which became known as Clyde North. The timber trestle bridge is of particular significance as one of only two examples of structures that date from the original construction of the line. (AHC criteria A4, B2, D2 and H1)
Aesthetically, the surviving elements in the complex including the mature trees and the timber trestle bridge create an evocative cultural landscape that contributes to the historic character of the Clyde township precinct. (AHC criterion E1)
Scientifically, it is of archaeological significance as it contains the ruins of the former station complex, which may provide important evidence about the early development of the station on this site.
Clyde Railway Station & Bridge - Physical Description 1
The Clyde Railway Station precinct is situated off Railway Road, on the north side of Clyde township. The original station buildings have been removed and the following elements survive:
- Embankments, which indicate the site of former platforms along with evidence of building locations such as concrete slabs.
- Remnant exotic vegetation some mature Monterey pines and remnants of other plantings.
The eastern end of the precinct is defined by the timber trestle railway bridge that crosses the railway at the Ballarto and Twyford Roads intersection. A bridge would have been constructed to carry the Ballarto Road over the line (unlikely to have been a grade crossing) and parts of the substructure may be from the original contract. The balustrade appears to be from the 1950s.