The former Hawthorn Motor Garage, designed by notable architect Christopher Cowper, and built in 1912, is of State historical and architectural significance.
Historically, it is the earliest architect designed motor garage known to survive in Victoria.
It has historical significance in the evolution of the motor garage form as an early example of a purpose built commercial garage, its design reflecting the era when motor spirit (petrol) was dispensed in four-gallon tins before the advent of petrol pumps in 1916. The form of the building further demonstrates the motor-garage's not too distant relationship with Coachbuilding and repair workshops, being little more than a modern blacksmiths' shop.
Architecturally, it is an interesting Edwardian commercial design, where an essentially flat facade for a shed-like building is given a distinctive quality and lively skyline by the use of a multiplicity of arched forms. The prominent arched entrance is echoed by a paired arched bays flanking it, which are capped by paired ball finials, and repeated again by the top arched parapet. It is also the first known commercial commission of the architect, Chris A Cowper, most noted for his contribution to the development of the Edwardian 'Federation' or Queen Anne residential style in the 1900s and 1910s.