The prominent and freestanding Gold Mines Hotel, designed in 1872 by the important Bendigo architectural firm Vahland and Getzschmann for David Chaplin Sterry is a fine and substantially original example of a Victorian goldfields hotel. A portion of the building at the rear of the hotel and a stone side boundary fence may date from 1857 when Sterry first erected a hotel on the site.
The Gold Mines Hotel is of historic significance through its relationship with the large Victoria Hill diggings and is also of importance for the association with Sterry, who became a local councillor, Mayor of Bendigo, President of the Marong Shire and Member of Parliament.
The Gold Mines Hotel is architecturally distinguished through its stucco facade and elegantly proportioned cast iron verandah and balcony. The grace of the structure is accentuated by the unusually slender columns and the paired columns and pediment in the central bay of the verandah and balcony. The substantially original plan form, with small bar rooms characteristic of hotels of the period, is also of note.
The hotel has a large garden with mature trees. The Gold Mines Hotel is part of the historic Victoria Hill area, which provided a substantial contribution to Bendigo's nineteenth century wealth.
See also B3132 Victoria Hill - Historic Area
First Classified 11/8/90
Revised: Classified 3/8/1998