The Newell Street Historic Area is significant as a very rare intactexample in Melbourne of a pre-war industrial housing estate. The area isbounded by Newell, Cowper and Donald Streets and Railway Place,Footscray. The area was originally known as 'Newells Paddock' afterFootscray City Councillor David Newell whose bluestone house at No.15Newell Street was constructed about 1875. An early attempt to subdividethe area took place in the boom years of the 1880's. However, nearly allthe housing in the urban conservation area was constructed in the years 1912-13. At this time the industrialist Sir William Angliss constructed26 five-roomed timber houses for rental to workers in his nearbymeatworks. The meatworks, located north of Newell Street have since beenalmost completely demolished.