Port Melbourne Yacht Club Port Melbourne March 2003
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - June 23, 2009
What is Significant?
The Port Melbourne Yacht Club clubrooms, built in the 1990s to replace an earlier structure destroyed by fire, occupy the site of the former Town Pier and an early landing place for migrants to the Port Phillip District. The first section of Town Pier was built at Sandridge in 1849 as a landing place for passengers and light cargo. It was extended several times when there was pressing demand for pier facilities in the port of Melbourne during the 1850s. From the late nineteenth century its primary use was as a landing place for coal deliveries to the South Melbourne gasworks. From the 1920s to the 1950s, dangerous sections of the pier were demolished and it was finally removed completely in 1958. The Port Melbourne Yacht Club built a new boatshed on the landward site of the pier in the 1960s, converting a former pier lifeboat shed into a clubhouse. This clubhouse was destroyed by fire in 1996 and a new clubhouse was subsequently built on the site.
How is it significant?
The site of the former Town Pier is historically significant to the State of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The site of the former Town Pier is historically significant as one of the earliest piers used by immigrants to land at the new settlement of Melbourne. However, the integrity of the site has been compromised since the mid 1920s, and it is unlikely that any significant fabric is extant. It is therefore not considered to be of State significance.