The Whittlesea Station site is very likely to contain sub-surface deposits relating to its construction and use, particularly around the station platforms and in the engineering area around the footprints of the engine shed and turntable to the south of the platforms.
Whilst these deposits are most likely to comprise construction or fuel waste (for example ash pits) they probably also include structural remains (relating to the turntable for example) and may include artefact deposits. All have the potential to provide information concerning the construction, use and dismantling of the Whittlesea Station site and the Melbourne to Whittlesea railway line as a whole.
WHITTLESEA 1, WHITTLESEA RAILWAY STATION - History
Heritage Inventory History of Site: Whittlesea Railway Station was the termination of Melbourne line. In use from 1889 to 1959. The line carried timber and helped to make Whittlesea a centre for valley's northern end. The structural remains are possibly significant, as the only evidence is photographic. Railsremoved in approximately 1970.
The site comprises the site of the station, which opened in 1889, together with the northern part of the rail corridor extending south from it. The site contains a number of extant elements; including the rail embankment, passenger platform embankment and several other surface features, and several areas of archaeological potential.
WHITTLESEA 1, WHITTLESEA RAILWAY STATION - Heritage Inventory Description
Siding and some building remains. Platform approximately 110m long. Metal pipes visible along side of platform between 48.5 metres and 70.3 metres (reading from north), possibly once attached to structure/s. Cement planks on east of siding, and foundations visible on north end. Platform comprised of quartz gravel and sand in a wooden frame. There is possibly a gravel track to the west.