SD 191 - Traction Engine, North Western Road, ST ARNAUD
Statement of Significance
Last updated on - August 18, 2004
The traction engine in Apex Park, North Western Road (Cnr Brisbane Street), St. Arnaud, was the first Marshall steam engine sold in Australia in June 1888. It operated until 1943 and in 1959 it was donated to the Rotary Club and later installed in Apex Park.
The traction engine is historically and scientifically significant at a STATE level. It is associated with the first purchase of a Marshall steam engine in Australia in 1888. It is has significance as an outstanding example of 19th technology advancement that was used to power farm machinery.
The traction engine is socially significant at a LOCAL level. It is recognised by the St. Arnaud community as having public value.
Overall, the traction engine is of STATE significance.