Former Maddingley No 1 Open Cut brown coal mine was developed by the Maddingley Brown Coal Company from 1943 until 1948, with workshops and stores buildings including the fanner buildings on Wards Hill (now Bacchus Marsh Grammar School). Another mine building, the former Pearce Brothers Chaff Mill ( 1886) is also at the School. The open cut has now been filled in. Coal loading facilities and works buildings remain.
This site and the remaining buildings both in the South Maddingley road/railway line area and in the Grammar School are of historical significance as evidence of a local industrial extraction process and capital investment in the economic life of Bacchus Marsh. They represent both the brown coal mining and chaff milling industries. The latter is the only surviving mill building in Bacchus Marsh.