Contextual History:History of Place:
Heritage Inventory History of Site:
MAIN ROYAL COMPANY.
MINES ROYAL COMPANY (name used in July 1859)
OLD MINES ROYAL (from December 1861 report)
Location given as Warrens Lead at Smythesdale and south of the Red Hill Co./ North Briton Lead ( July 1859 report); described in July 1860 as being at the lower extremity of Smythesdale.
06.1859: applied for a lease of 18 acres; have sunk through 60 feet of trap (igneous) rock and are believed to be near the gutter.
07.1859: shaft is down 130 feet and excess water has necessitated erecting a 16 horse power engine and other machinery.
08.1859: working hard to reach the gutter.
01.1860: have finally reached the deep ground.
06.1860: getting magnificent returns.
07.1860: doing remarkably well.
12.1860: achieving moderate returns during the month.
01.1861: obtaining £15 per week.
03.1861: dividends declined to £3 per man per week.
06.1861: improving; averaging 12 ozs per machine.
06.1860 to 06.1861; recorded production of 3470 ozs (or 107.932 kg).
07.1861: very poor.
08.1861: very poor.
10.1861: rather poor.
12.1861: turning out poorly.
Site No.122.02 is 100m further south along the railway reserve. This site has a substantially intact mullock heap 70m by 20m by 9m high. There is a scatter of quartz covering an area 20m by 20m south of the mullock heap.