Former Ringwood (State) School No.2997 opened in 1874 in a leased hall, as an annexe to Ringwood State School No.1451 which opened in the same year. This brick school succeeded it in 1921-22 and closed in 1998. It is historically significant to the municipality for its long association with educational developments in Ringwood. The present campus demonstrates a changing sequence of occupancy pattern and of the local population as extra land was purchased and buildings such as new classrooms, Bristols and L.T.C.s were added over time. The school was historically significant for the pioneering success of its recorder band. It is architecturally significant as a characteristic and relatively intact abstracted Baroque design from the Public Works Department under Edwin Evan Smith as Chief Architect. It is socially significant as being known and valued by the Ringwood community and their children over 125 years (76 years in this building).