The former Baptist Church Sabbath School, a rectangular plan structure, was built of regular coursed squared basalt with Waurn Ponds limestone dressing in 1868/69, for the Breakwater Baptist congregation. The architect of this simple utilitarian schoolhouse is unknown. The building was originally roofed with split hardwood palings, which materials survives under the present iron cladding.
The building has interesting associations with the development of the Breakwater area, but is of extremely low integrity having been extensively altered in 1959 and 1969. The relationship with the adjacent manse is a notable quality.
RECOMMENDATIONS: PROTECTIVE MEASURES
Geelong Regional Commission Register
National Trust of Australia (Victoria) File 2443, "Survey and Identification Data Form" compiled by GF Lyons, October, 1969.
Aberdeen Street Baptist Church, Minute Books.
Breakwater Baptist Church
Brown, PL - "Geelong, the Essential Stream" in Historic Places of Australia, Volume 1, Cassell, Melbourne 1978. p. 74 illustration of adjacent manse.