St James Anglican Church, Drysdale - Exterior Side View
Statement of Significance
B Listing - Regional Significance
STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
St James Church of England at Drysdale was erected in 1872 using local brick maker Widdiscombes' re and cream brick in an Early English Gothic design by Geelong architect Andrew McWilliams.
Bishop Perry opened the church on 22nd July 1872. The simple lancet windows, modest dichromatick brickwork, central tower and finely executed interior are the principal features of this typical country parish church of the 19th century. The use of T. H. Widdicombe's purpose made white bricks and tiles was an innovative feature at the time of construction in 1872.
RECOMMENDATIONS: PROTECTIVE MEASURES
Geelong Regional Commission Register.
National Trust of Australia (Victoria) Register
Australia Heritage Commission Register of the National Estate
Geelong Advertiser - 9th May, 1872, Tenders for painting and staining.
15th July, 1872, Notice of opening by Bishop Perry.
20th July, 1872 - Notice of opening with detailed descriptio of church and furnishings. (Willingham Index).
Principal Artisans - Geelong Advertiser - 20th July, 1872