The Shire of Corio was established in June 1864, and in the same month, D.K. Goodall, the recently appointed Shire engineer, advertised tenders for a new Shire Hall to be erected at Duck Ponds (Lara). Clements Nash, the successful tenderer, erected this rectangular plan building with gable roof bluestone construction, in four months in 1864. The headquarters of the Shire were transferred to Osborne House, North Geelong, in 1938. The former Shire of Corio offices extended in 1926 and subsequently further altered in the 1960s, are of historical importance to the Shire of Corio being the centre of local government administration from 1864 until 1938.
GeelongAdvertiser,, 30 June 1864. D.K. Goodall, Shire Engineer advertises tenders for erection of bluestone building near railway station at Duck Ponds for Shire of Corio. Plans and specification with D.K.Goodall, Newtown Hill (Willingham Index)
Werrribee Express, 25 April 1896 - description of building.
Shire of Corio Minute Books 1864, 1865, 1871, 1926.
Wynd, Ian So Fine a Country: A History of Corio Shire Draft Copy 1980 - p. 70
Shire of Corio, Osborne House, pamphlet 1964 Geelong
Municipalities of Victoria, Addresses to H.R.H., The Duke of Cornwall and York, McCarron Bird, Melbourne, 1901 - illustration.
Shire of Corio, Engineers Department, plan records