The Girton Crescent Heritage Area is significant for its "Garden City" street planning focussing on the central recreation reserve. The area was first subdivided in 1924 using the "Garden City" concept as the basis of the design, following town planning influences of the 1920's. The houses are freestanding and predominantly single storey timber Bungalow style. Allotment sizes are universal with a 50' frontage and 140' depth, varying only to accommodate the recreation reserve. The central reserve is unfenced and contains many cypress trees and some playground equipment.
Several varieties of the State Savings Bank (SSB) designed bungalows are represented with some good examples of the standard designs once promoted by the State Savings Bank. A number of woven wire fences, garages and outbuildings complement the individual buildings. The original character of the subdivision including nature strips and street tree planting remains.