What is significant?
The brick cottage located on the north west side of the Coleraine - Balmoral Road is a single storey, symmetrical dwelling constructed from locally hand made bricks on a diminutive scale. It is located approximately 750 metres south west of the centre of Balmoral. The cottage is extremely small and vernacular in design, with eight pane double hung sash windows. It is not aligned with its street frontage, facing more or less east, looking across the township towards the Glenelg River. There is some confusion regarding the builder of the cottage, as Thomas Peet purchased the land from the Crown in 1859, but local history states that the cottage was built by Balmoral's first Merchant, Thomas Heap. They may be one and the same person. It is thought that the cottage may date from as early as 1859. The cottage retains a very high degree of integrity but is in very poor condition.
How is it significant?
The cottage is of historical and architectural significance to the township of Balmoral and the Southern Grampians Shire.
Why is it significant?
The brick cottage located at 39 Coleraine - Balmoral Road, Balmoral is of historical significance as the one of oldest surviving residences in Balmoral. It dates from early land sales in the area, and demonstrates the growth of the town around the Glenelg River Ford on the main Melbourne - Adelaide transport route. The cottage is of further historical importance for its links to Balmoral's first Merchant, Thomas Heap (or perhaps Peet), who it is said the cottage was built for. The retention of the extremely small and humble house with its vernacular construction techniques is historically significant. It is of further historical significance as an example of the use of locally manufactured bricks, representing an early industry and trade
The brick cottage is of architectural significance as a rare surviving example of an early vernacular building, constructed with handmade bricks on a diminutive scale.