What is significant?
The former Colonial Bank is a single storey, symmetrical brick building of traditional house form located on the south side of Lynch Street near the intersection of Monroe Street. It had a timber and cast iron verandah across the western or garden elevation, which has collapsed. It is not certain when this building was constructed but, from its form, plan and detailing it does seem to have been built as a house rather than as a bank, and before 1870. No architect or builder has been associated with the design. The building has a low degree of integrity and is in poor condition.
How is it significant?
The former Colonial Bank is of historical and architectural significance to the community of Branxholme and to the Southern Grampians Shire
Why is it significant?
The former Colonial Bank is of historical significance as a reminder of a previous commercial activity, and apparently the only bank in Branxholme. The former Colonial Bank is of architectural significance as an example of domestic architecture, particularly for the unusual side verandah.
A single storey, symmetrical brick building of traditional house form, now painted, which formerly had a timber and cast iron verandah across the western or garden elevation. The northern half of the verandah was enclosed with weatherboards to dado height and sliding glazed sashes above. The roof is hipped with an M-shaped profile and is covered in corrugated iron. The front windows are 2-paned double hung sashes, while the side and rear windows are 12-paned double hung sashes. The two chimneys are located opposite the front windows. The rear half of the house (or its extension) is in weatherboard with the roof continued in the same materials, form and pitch.