Greensborough cemetery is regionally significant as an early burial ground in Victoria. It serves as an important record of the early history of the region. It contains the graves of many early settlers of the region.
A cemetery trust was set up in 1874 at which time it cost 10s to reserve a site in the cemetery and a further 10s to open it up for another member of the family. About 17 people had been buried there prior to that date, the oldest headstone is from 1864, dedicated to Aldridge. On 17 June 1874 John Scotland was elected the first Chairman of the Cemetery trust. The land for the cemetery was donated in December the same year.
In 1906 a portion of the cemetery was sold to the Victorian Railways, who sold it to the Shire of Heidelberg in 1907. The last trustees of the cemetery were Messrs. Mitchell, Middleton, Iredale and Butterworth in 1936. The last burial in the cemetery was L. Iredale in 1963. When the cemetery was closed the same year there were around 200 graves.
Greensborough cemetery occupies a small rectangular site located on the corner of Hailes Street and Jessop Street. It has a formal, although overgrown layout with four rows of graves at right angles to a path which runs north - south following the slope of the hill. There is no formal entrance. A row of pine trees line the Jessop Street boundary. There is a treated pine post and rail fence on both street boundaries and a paling fence on the east and south boundaries. A sign facing Jessop Street provides a layout of the cemetery and an indication of the grave sites.
The head stones vary in condition and style including plain Gothic arched headstones, 1940s granite headstones and beds and granite headstones surrounded by low Victorian cast iron fences. Many of the headstones are now missing, and many of those that remain are in poor condition. Remnant Fabric (Man Made):
The site is scattered with grave stones, with some graves featuring stone surrounds and iron work. The majority of sites are unmarked. The identity of each internment is plotted on a (contemporary) plan located near the south west corner of the site.
REMNANT FABRIC (Vegetation):
The site is dominated by two Monterey Pines (Pinus radiata) on the western side, which probably date from the early to middle part of this century. It is likely that the Cherry laurel Prunus laurocerasus and Viburnum tinus shrubs scattered on the site are remnant, or at least are the progeny of original plantings. Other vegetation is likely to be weedy, such as Cotoneaster sp and Periwinkle (Vinca minor), or planted recently, such as the number of native species planted around the perimeter of the site.
. Lack of a clear management plan for the site, which is in a poor condition.
. Vandalism, particularly graffiti, is an apparent issue.
. Selling of the land, or conversion to a pioneer memorial park (complete or partial removal of head stones).
Preparation of a detailed management plan for the site. The plan should consider maintenance requirements and a landscape improvement scheme - there is no unity in the current planting design, and the detailing of contemporary man made features is inappropriate. Such a plan would address the interpretation of the site, and reinforce the heritage character of the cemetery. It would also address access to the site and security, as well as procedures for repairing vandalised or damaged headstones.