Spray farm formerly Ellenvale was built in 1851 to the designs of John Young a Geelong architect. The main house is a single storey brick and rubble villa based on a symmetrical plan around a central hall and vestibule lit by a large lantern. It was erected for James Conway Langden and acquired in 1862 by Geelong wool broker, Charles Ibbotsen.
The house was extended in 1875 with the addition of a Victorian Gothic brick wing and stable complex forming two fully enclosed courtyards. The extensions are of dichromatic brickwork, banded in part with the various roof forms in slate with square blue and scalloped purple alternating bands and a small spire. The verandah with its timber shutters was possibly also added at this time. The additions were designed by notable Geelong architects Alexander Davidson and George Henderson.
1. Spray Farm, situated to take advantage of the magnificent views over Corio Bay, is one of the earliest farms on the Bellarine Peninsula.
2. The house is of architectural importance as a distinctive homestead designed by John Young, while the stable building and courtyard extensions are an example of the innovative work of Alexander Davidson and George Henderson.
3. The stable building and courtyard form an interesting part of the complex, and impart a distinctly French character which is most unusual in Victoria. The shutters which enclose the verandah are also most unusual.
4. Both JC Langden and Charles Ibbotsen were influential Geelong settlers.