Beaufort House, Beaufort Avenue, Alfredton, Ballarat, is a two storied house built circa 1864 for Solicitor, mining entrepreneur and civic figure Sir Henry Cuthbert. Symmetrical in composition, the house has two bay windows, framed with Tuscan Pilasters, about the round-headed central doorway. There are paired windows directly above with triple windows above each bay window.
Beaufort House, Beaufort Avenue, Alfredton, Ballarat, is an important house, architecturally distinctive and has historical associations wit Sir Henry Cuthbert and the early history of the area. Beaufort House is also a surviving example of the larger houses constructed on the out-skirts of Ballarat last century. The Italianate design is unusual, the window motifs to the first floor, the bay windows and entrance being notable.
The property is in good condition and is essentially intact externally, although the porch appears to be later and verandahs have been added or altered. The extensive gardens have been subdivided.
Classified Of local significance: 03/08/1998