Lightstation group of 1853-62 consisting of a 150 foot tower; headkeepers' and assistant keepers' quarters; two ancillary buildings and enclosing and connecting walls, all constructed of locally quarried red granite, together with a detached former signal station of rendered masonry added in 1887.
The striking colour of the granite is enhanced by the exacting workmanship of the dressed masonry. Whilst later infilling of verandahs and sundry additional buildings are excluded, the recent use of red brick is a sympathetic alternative to the local granite.
The cast iron spiral staircase in the tower, with its central column supporting the landings is typically detailed. The cast iron external lantern gallery is unusual in having no supporting brackets, and the cast blocking plates are decorated with ribbon borders in relief. The balustrade of the lower balcony is of later design and is excluded.
The interior of the lantern room is finely detailed and well maintained with a bracketed cast iron lantern walkway and polished brass handrails and fittings.