The Pioneer Cemetery, Steiglitz and the Steiglitz Cemetery are of local significance for the following reasons:
- their importance in the course of Steiglitz's cultural history as a reminder of the gold mining history of the town.
- their potential to yield information that will contribute to an understanding of Steiglitz's cultural history.
* Their importance for information contributing to a wider understanding of Steiglitz's history, by virtue of their use as a research and reference site.
* Their importance for information contributing to a wider understanding of the history of human occupation of the region. For example by providing information about the patterns of deaths in Steiglitz by age, religion and family; and sometimes giving causes, occupations and other information. By demonstrating the range of technical and craft skills and materials available.
* For their value as a historical record, a collection of individual memorials, their continuity and security, for the manner in which they inspire a respect for the dead, as a social document, and for their role in education and recreation.
- Their importance in exhibiting characteristics valued by the Steiglitz community.
- Their importance in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technical achievement of the goldfields period.
* importance for technical, creative, design or artistic excellence, innovation or achievement, including monuments of local significance such as Robert Duncanson (Pioneer's Cemetery) and Elizabeth Honour (Steiglitz Cemetery) and the cemeteries's collection of memorials, tombstones and other funerary art.
- Their strong or special association with the local community for social, cultural or spiritual reasons.
* Their importance as places highly valued by a community for reasons of religious, spiritual, symbolic, cultural, educational and social associations.