Mount Napier homestead, situated near the extinct Western District volcano from which the property name derives, was settled by former Hobart town colonists Andrew, John and Thomas Brown, from 1840-49. By 1853 "two small (stone) houses of two rooms each with a kitchen" were erected of rubble stone with external chimneys and hipped roof. The present Edwardian brick house of 1906 abuts the original stone homestead and stables.
The original stone buildings of Mount Napier homestead are of great interest as surviving stone structures of vernacular form of the first years of settlement of the property. The primitive construction technique of the stone houses is particularly notable. The homestead has significant associations, firstly with the pioneering Brown Bros. who built the original stone houses and stables, and with John Matherson, a prominent pastoralist and financier who acquired the property in 1862.
Mount Napier homestead, original stone buildings are in varying degrees of repair and intactness. One of the first houses is integrated as the kitchen of the 1906 homestead; the other rectangular plan building is dilapidated. The stables are in good condition.